Summer means blueberry time and here in Texas it also means Fredricksburg peaches. This recipe puts them both together with a delicious brown sugar crumble topping for a delicious dessert best served with Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. Make sure to use room temperature fruit so that it bakes evenly.
Blueberry and Peach Crumble
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3 cups (1 lb) blueberries, room temperature
3 medium peaches (1 lb), halved, pitted, and sliced 1/2 in thick
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp of the salt.
3. Work the butter into the flour mixture until it readily clumps when pressed together.
4. In a large bowl combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and the remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
5. Add the blueberries and peaches to the sugar mixture and toss to coat.
6. Spread the fruit mixture into the butter baking pan and cover with the brown sugar crumble.
7. Bake until the fruit is bubbling in the center and the top is crisp and well browned. It should take about 45 minutes.
8. Cool slightly and serve warm with some ice cream.