This is like mayonnaise on crack, you will never again go back to Helman’s or whoever makes that terrible excuse for a sandwich spread. Adding some garlic only makes it even tastier. Aioli, like mayo, is an oil and egg emulsion and takes a ridiculous amount of beating to come together, so if you have a stand mixer you’re in luck, if not, start warming up your whisking arm now.
Makes 1/2 cup
3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced (its even better if you add the salt below and grind it up either on the cutting board with your knife or in a mortar and pestle)
1 large egg yolk
1 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. With an egg beater, stand mixer, or your hand whisk if you have forearms of steel, mix the garlic and egg yolk together until it forms a smooth mixture.
2. Mixing as quickly as possible very slowly begin adding the olive oil.
3. If it gets too thick add some lemon juice and then go back to the olive oil.
4. When you’ve added all the olive oil you should have a nice emulsion and you can finish with the remaining lemon juice, pepper, and salt if you didn’t use it to mash your garlic.
5. Spread on your favorite sandwich and enjoy your own mayonnaise killer.