Lynn surprised me with a “you’re making chocolate lava cake for all my friends” party last week. Never having made them before I valiantly agreed and found this recipe from Ghiradelli. Not having near enough ramekins either we used a fun cupcake baking sheet so we had flower shaped cakes.
4 oz dark chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cake flour
1. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and cream, whisking to blend, refrigerate a couple hours
2. Form the chocolate into 6 balls and refrigerate for later
3. Heat oven to 400 F
4. Melt the chocolate and butter, whisking gently to blend
5. Mix eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high speed (with your electric mixer of course) about 5 minutes until thick and light
6. Fold in melted chocolate/butter and the flour.
7. Spoon the batter into 6 ramekins and place a cold chocolate ball in the center of each.
8. Bake 15 minutes and let stand for 5 before serving.