I was watching Ace of Cakes and saw Duff making egg nog for his whole crew. I jotted down the ingredients (that’s all they showed), googled it, and found it was actually Alton Brown’s recipe. I’m a huge fan of this (not the Alton Brown part, but the recipe part) because a. Ace of Cakes is awesome and b. I get to use my stand mixer.
Serves 6 cups
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 T sugar
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 oz bourbon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites
1. In a stand mixer, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, gradually adding the 1 T sugar.
2. Take the whites out of the mixer bowl and set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, begin beating the yolks until they lighten in color
4. Add the 1/3 c sugar and beat until completely dissolved.
5. Add the milk, cream, bourbon, and nutmeg and stir to combine.
6. Whisk together the egg whites and yolk mixture.
7. Chill and enjoy.