This is what comfort food is all about. It’s creamy, cheesy, gooey and terrible for you. But I think it’s delicious. My parents would make it off and on growing up (my mom hates it) so it kind of reminds me of home. It’s a pretty simply dish that goes really well with some plain whole grain rice (make sure to get some casserole and some rice on each forkful). I also am not such a fan of the crust but feel free to throw way more tortillas on there if you are.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1 chicken breast, trimmed and cubed
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (hopefully low sodium, but I’m not your mom)
1/4 cup salsa (this is where you can add the heat)
Enchilada sauce (red or green)
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Fry the cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper
3. Combine the cream of chicken soup, salsa, and as much cheese as you want
4. When the chicken is done add it to the mixture
5. Pour enchilada sauce in a shallow bowl and dredge the tortillas through it, putting a layer of dredged tortillas on the bottom of an 8×4 in glass baking dish.
6. Pour the chicken, cheese mixture on the tortillas and top with another layer of dredges tortillas. Pour some of the remaining enchilada sauce on top.
7. Bake with foil over top for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.